The Alumni Gym was built by hand in 1950 by the Brothers of Holy Cross at a time when air conditioning was a luxury and so this 14,400 square foot brick structure had none, nor did it have insulation or waterproofing. The building exterior of Austin Common brick is an original campus standard and needed to remain therefore a new wall system with insulation and waterproofing was built inside the exterior walls. Tucked within this new envelope are mechanical ducting and storage faced with wood, keeping the feeling of the old but functioning in the present. Remodeling the existing locker and toilet rooms provided new offices and workout spaces. A new entry structure was added to better address the campus center and serves as an open porch for students to meet.